Copywriting is the best job in the world, in my opinion.
But once you master copywriting — the kind that gets leads and sales — it’s time to turn your attention to marketing.
This is because Copywriting PLUS Marketing vastly expands your options… and your opportunity.
The Benefits of Knowing How to Write Copy
Most copywriters enter the field for the benefits of freelancing:
• You don’t have to commute
• You don’t have to dress up and go to meetings (unless you want to)
• The pay is phenomenal if you can bring results (and not bad even if you can’t)
• You can make your own hours
• You can reject bad clients and avoid office politics
• You can express a massive level of creativity and get PAID for it!
• You are your own boss (most copywriters hate having a boss!)
• The overhead is lower than probably any other business
• Clients (generally) respect your skills and treat you as an equal
• You can write from practically anywhere
• Copywriting is just plain FUN!
There are many more benefits of knowing how to write copy but note that if you focus solely on writing copy, you’ll always do just one thing, and that is write for clients.
Now there’s nothing wrong with that if that’s what you want. You could even go big and become an agency, either virtual or not.
But what happens when you also study Marketing?
The Benefits of Combining Copywriting Skill with Marketing Skill
When you learn Marketing, you can do a much better job of landing clients, especially the ones you really want. But look what else you can do:
• You can offer higher-paid levels of marketing advice (including strategy, consultation, training and more)
• You can successfully work with more niche markets (including small business which is not a good niche if you write copy only)
• You can create additional streams of income and move away from the “feast or famine” nature of freelance copywriting
• You can attract your OWN buyers (for your own products, memberships, coaching, books, workshops, paid speaking gigs, etc.)
• You can build a mailing list — the most valuable asset of any business! (Some businesses go into business JUST to build a list they can rent or sell)
• You can dream up a job you’d enjoy and create it, as long as there’s market demand (such as Event Promotion or Statistical Report creation (something I’ve done since 2005)
Although it’s natural for copywriters to expand into kindred areas of business such as ebooks and coaching, developing a Marketing skill opens you to much wider — even massive — opportunities.
My current and past coaching students have combined Copywriting careers with Real Estate Sales, Day Trading, Alpaca Ranching, House Flipping, Batiking, Wine Competitions and more.
By combining the power of Copywriting + Marketing, there’s just about nothing a smart copywriter can’t do.
Copyright 2017 Chris Marlow, All Rights Reserved
P.S. — Want to learn modern copywriting? Want to learn marketing? You owe it to yourself to check out the copywriting world’s best kept secret, the S.S Treasure Hunt.